Inspiring In-depth Interview with George Nasr


( Mister George Nasr, farthest left )


Currently, parts of the nation are still suffering the destruction brought about by the Super Typhoon Gaemi, and that is just during storm season. Even on ordinary days, in June of this year 2024, the Head of the Maronites On Mission from Australia, Mister George Nasr, conducted a special charity endeavour.

Tell me something more about this mission. How is it different from the regular charity work of the Maronites?

Mr. Nasr, “The regular work I do with Maronites On Mission (MOM) usually targets and helps the masses. Larger groups of people whom benefit from large scale humanitarian aid. This mission was different, very specific, targeted to help individual needs of people.”

When did you arrive in Naga and when was the mission accomplished?

Mr. Nasr, “ I’ve been in the Philippines since June 17 through to June the 29th.”

You mentioned that you and your three-member-team booked accommodations at a local hotel, this showed your dedication to help the impoverished people of Naga, going the extra mile in a more personal endeavor. What inspired you to do that?

Mr. Nasr, “As you’re aware, in precocious missions I’ve been blessed to stay with the Missionaries Of the Poor (MOP) Brothers within their Monastery. Staying with them although a blessing for us, is challenging for the Brothers as their schedule of corporal works and prayers change to host the missionary’s. I was conscious not to interrupt their agenda once again and arranged to stay at a local hotel.”   

What is the reason you keep coming back to Naga? What is your driven-purpose?

Mr. Nasr, “James, the very first trip to Naga changed the trajectory of my life. The very first step off the plane at the airport I felt a magnetic connection to the land here. No words can describe fulfillment and blessings I obtain when I serve the poorest of the poor here in Naga.”   

Does the resilience of the people help you pursue your dream to make a better change for their lives?

Mr. Nasr, “The resilience of the people here remind me to be grateful, humble and to give thanks to the Lord for all the blessing bestowed upon me, my family and my community.”

You talked about still seeing the desperation in the eyes of people who want and need help, what do you think is the reason behind that?

Mr. Nasr, “Generational poverty, lack of opportunities and limited government support.”

Charity missions are all the more meaningful they say to the volunteers, what are the positive effects that made you who you are now. What can you tell future volunteers to convince them to do the same?

Mr. Nasr, “We’re all called to love and serve, it’s a calling I heard and answered willingly. Positive effects have been coming my way since the very first moment my missionary journey started. Although my journey continues, I have received the graces of fellowship, gratitude and a higher level of situational awareness of my surroundings. For future missionary’s, I always share the same message, ‘answer the call, follow the Lord and be his hands and feet’.”

May we have the list of your accomplishments in your mission. 

Mr. Nasr elaborates,

-    Deaf and Mute School sponsorship.

- Missionaries of the Poor feeding program sponsorship in Balatas. 300 people.

- Urban Missionaries feeding program sponsorship in Balatas. 300 people.

- Medical costs for 5 individuals.

- Medication for 5 individuals.

- Acquisition and distribution of 100 Paracetamol boxes and 100 multivitamin boxes.

- Purchase of medical equipment, bedsore egg mattress, oxygen tank, mouth aspiration device.

- Rebuild of one property for a severely ill 8 year old girl.

- The purchase and distribution of 1000kg of rice.

- The purchase and distribution of 500 family pasta packs.

- The purchase of 10 custom made mattresses for severely disable and orphaned children.

- The sponsorship of 1 person Scoliosis medical treatment.

- The supply of food and drink for a mercy meal post funeral.

- The purchase of 1000 nappies and 300 toothbrushes for severely disable children in the Bicol region.

- The sponsorship of 34 malnourished children in Cararayan.

Lastly, what would you like to tell our readers and what the people may expect from your next missions if any?

Mr. Nasr: “The simple message I leave every year to the people of Naga is ‘I’ll be back every year and I won’t forget or neglect you.’”

Thank you Mr. George Nasr. That is quite similar to General Douglas MacArthur’s own iconic words, “I shall return.” Until now, the United States’ people are our friends and in their official, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin, III, own reassuring comment regarding America’s aid to the victims of the typhoon-- we are a family. In my own opinion, it is what God intended it to be, created in His grand will and His master plan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mesmerizing Maronites

Inspires: Tano ta an apod kan Bikolano ki Maria, Inâ | Ascension Presents: Why Catholics Call Mary Their Mother