Ascension Presents | Is Courtesy Required for Catholics?

in collaboration with Inspires 
give you this riveting magnum opus.‎..






Condensed Reflection
by James Z. Carpio


First of all, while growing up in our family we were taught basic courtesy or good manners and right conduct. Even before Kindergarten, we were instructed to greet the elders, most especially, "Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening". To say please and myriad other pleasantries like, "May I have some more vegetables please." instead of just saying, "I want more vegetables." at the dining table.

Furthermore, Father Mike mentioned about using the knife and fork, I smiled a little bit because I remember when it comes to table manners there are other utensils that I had to learn how and when to use like the soup spoon, the salad fork, the steak fork, and the dessert spoon. I remember a tip about it that I should always use the utensils at the outermost setting and work my way to the innermost ones. That is if in case I get confused in a full course meal at a fancy wedding reception or any formal dining gathering for that matter. 

Talking about cramped spaces, Father Mike discussed about the trains in the subway. Similarly, on the plane there are courteous ways I have learned and practice so that I make other passengers comfortable and to not be a nuisance. For example, I keep my elbows within my seat bubble so as not to, accidentally, rub elbows with my seat mates. I say, excuse me when I have to get up and go to the lavatory and again say excuse me when I have to return to my seat.

Upon landing, since I am tall, I take it upon myself to open the overhead bin and get my carry ons, a rucksack and a laptop bag, but wait, I also retrieve the other baggages inside that particular bin for the other passengers who cannot reach their suitcases especially for old and young ladies. Then, when it is empty I shut it closed and if I see other empty bins I also close them so that nobody will hit their head on them.

Then, the waiting begins, the passengers in the front rows depart first and the succeeding rows follow and then I wait for my turn. Finally, I reach the finish line when I see the smiling flight attendants. I thank them and bid them farewell.

Essentially, I concur with the premise that courtesy is required for Catholics but I would like to think that it covers all peoples. In order to promote peace and harmony among peoples and nations, courtesy is vital towards their achievement.

















Comments