The Swiss Elixir




It was my final chance for survival. A long flight from home to the Old World. I did not become well here in a Manila State of Mind. I did not have any expectation. It was my first time to fly to Germany then to be driven to Switzerland.

She is a very pleasant lady. She said the only symptom she detected was the slight trembling of my hands.

A disorder is the used term for it, although, I would have my own two cents worth of opinion about it. Everyone has a disorder like one Priest said the only difference is the degree. 

Zurich is the epitome of order. It is probably the best City in the world to rewire one's thinking into something methodical, logical, and scientific. It is exact.

When a Tram is scheduled to arrive at 7:13. Lo and behold, the Tram arrives exactly, at 7:13.

I was amazed. Efficiency and Effectiveness, seamlessly, running towards one great river of confluence. Everything is systematic, structured, and serene.

Yes. I found serenity.

So, how long have you been suffering with your condition? 

Since I was a teenager. Practically, I have been sleeping just by a chemical antidote that combats the treatment I had in my hometown.

The old practice is called Santigwar. But, it made me worse. I was made to drink a glass of water with burnt paper in it.

Is that so? 

Yes, that's how they do it back home.

You know what, right from the beginning, I knew that was not what I needed. I needed to sleep. I lost a lot of sleep and I became exhausted.

Well, I see, what did you do then? Because you are well now.

I solved my own problem. Some Doctors they just dispense medicines and that's it.

I researched about the precarious-end-result of Santigwar and the whole Cultural Approach of the people who believe in it.

Well, here are X-rays of brains with different conditions. Yours, really is just a result of lack of sleep which could have been easily treated and that's it.

I saw the X-rays and they were in colour, practically, the chemicals in the brain could be easily distinguished.

Now, this is not an elixir that I will give you. There is no such thing as a magic potion. You are Catholic right? 

Yes.

What I would give you is a chemical antidote. It will make you sleep. That is all there is to it. Good luck, Mister Malapit.

I felt a heavy burden lifted off of my shoulders. I realised Science, or to be exact Medical Science, or to be more precise Neuroscience is the cure for me and not Santigwar

Yes, Sir. It is a new science that I needed and not the old ways.

In the final Analysis, Science and Religion do not contradict each other, Science even sheds light on Religion. Like Saint Thomas who doubted the Lord Jesus being alive, he needed proof, or he needed Science so to speak in order to be convinced.

As for me, for those who believe: no explanation is needed, but, for those people who succumb to self-doubt and have projections to people and reality: no explanation is possible.

I am well and I rest my case.





















Comments