My American Family



"James, you have to see this," he said with enthusiasm. How could I say no? 

My cousin was correct, it was a sight that is one for the books. The reflections I saw from the astonishing work of art were like rays of light bouncing off a prism. It is multi-faceted although it is not cut like a diamond. Moreover, the tourists were all frenetic having their pictures taken with it as a background. 

I took a mental picture, captured and will stay in my mind forever after, unless, of course, if I will have Alzheimer's. I hope not, with God's grace.

More often than not, when I travel I would stay in a hotel. When I went to the U.S.A. recently, I stayed in three and in one sort of like an Airbnb arrangement.

Providentially, I had been welcomed to stay in the homes of my two Aunts and a lunch at another Aunt's place.

My self-deprecating humour and demeanor would often put people off track. Family is family. I remember my friend, Nancy, who told me that keep them close to your heart.

I did. 

And they are in my thoughts and prayers, as I am writing this one. And will linger on until my last day.

So, to be aptly put, I was on airplane mode. No brain activity whatsoever. I think now, I wonder if I made sense to them at all. 

What was I thinking? 

Nothing... I was on a holiday.

It was fun, a great adventure though. My 'American Dream' fulfilled. Memories that would last a lifetime. 

The words that will stay in my mind, like embers but will never be extinguished, are, "you're family!"

Then now, tears like pearls, started flowing down my cheeks. Because, unintentionally, I had been too busy, writing. I had been writing about characters when I do not even know what is going on with my family's lives.

The pain I feel now is strong, regrets, I guess. Where is my sincerity? My imperfections. My honesty. I cannot share something which I do not know. 

A writer's life is a contemplative life. But, I feel the suffering in my heart now. I chose the road less traveled by. I am the one who is the last to know and would often ask, what happened?

To bring back myself to reality. The daily grind. I listen to relaxing waves of the ocean and to foreign language songs and classical piano pieces and guitar music. I write when I am inspired for the literary blog. Two deadlines; every first week of the month and the other every 19th of the month. I handle my Twitter account. And, I get some help from an American Social Media Manager.

Finally, I am going to start a new monthly column for a magazine. 

Thank you for asking. Enough about me. What about you? What is going on with your life? I am here to listen.


















 photo credit: Franck Vervial Chicago Blue Bean, par Franck Vervial via photopin (license)
License: (license)

Comments