Fearless


Daniel Hughes fetched his Uncle Nick from JFK airport. It was the first time that he met his Uncle. Nick Hughes is based in Uruguay.

It was awkward to say the least, the long pauses and trying to break the ice. Just small talk really. Well, for about thirty minutes.

Then, his Uncle Nick asked him, "why did you not take that route, that was a shortcut?"

Dan's face became red with embarrassment and replied, 'to be honest Uncle, I have a phobia with that avenue.'

"Ohhh, I see..." then his Uncle gave a hearty laugh. He then elaborated, "let me tell you about me, Dan, would you believe I was afraid of a few colors back in the day, I was afraid to step on cracks, airplanes, almost everything." He added, "I was the personification of phobias. You name it I got it.'

Then, Dan asked, 'you traveled by plane, so I guess you're not afraid of flying anymore?'

"Yes, Sir." His Uncle chuckled.

The Nephew was amazed. 'How did you overcome your fears then?'

Simple. "Just have a fear of phobias and they all went away... just like that!"

'That is too general, Uncle Nick, give me one example please.' Dan queried as his Uncle became pensive.

After two minutes of meditation his Uncle explained:

"Well, I just did exactly how I conquered my fears. I paused... I think for about two minutes, right? That is delaying the reaction when something happened or about to happen. It is all about strategy. Then, I make a command decision on what is the best thing to do.

For fear of heights, I do not look down, I just look straight ahead. Then, after sometime, I could also look down already.

For airplanes, I just watch movies or sleep.

There are many solutions and options for whatever problem you may have, well, Son, that is the process of progression or maturity. Like an exquisite vintage wine, it gets better with age." 
















License: (license)

Comments