A Fil-Am Beauty Queen

                                                                                                          



Amelia ‘Naynay’ Castillo Fulgentes brought pride to Bicolandia as she won the Miss People’s Choice Award and given the title as Miss Philippine Airlines in this year’s Miss Philippines USA at the coronation night held last July 12 staged at the Alex Theatre, Glendale, California.


Naynay was born in Naga City and later migrated to America when she was seven years old. The twenty two year old Fil-Am Beauty Queen is currently finishing her Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at the University of Colorado.


As one of the major title holders, she will be taking part in different charitable projects in the Philippines with primary focus on the education of poor and young students. Moreover, as Miss Philippine Airlines 2015 and its spokeswoman, she encourages Bicolanos/Filipinos to fly PAL, our national flag carrier.



Miss Fulgentes will be one of the official judges of the Miss Bicolandia Pageant this September as a representative of the Miss Philippines USA organization.



Here is an exclusive interview about her success in the most prestigious Fil-Am Beauty Pageant and other interesting facets as she shares a snippet of her life story:



I did some research about your bio and I found out that you are a well accomplished swimmer and wrestler. In fact, you won wrestling contests that ultimately led to a title as an All-American Wrestler that was awarded by the National Folkstyle Wrestling Tournament organization where you placed third. Furthermore, you are also a National Judo Champ and will represent the U.S.A. in world contests. That is astonishing!



Question: How has sports shaped you mentally, physically and has helped you become a successful woman? May I ask you to give some encouraging words for other people to live a more active and healthier lifestyle like yourself?



Amelia Fulgentes: Ever since I was little, sports has been a very important part of my life, especially judo. It’s taught me to always put my full effort in everything I do. It has made me believe in myself and it helped me realize that I can always get back up no matter how many times I get knocked down. Sports introduced me to a different view of beauty which I want girls to understand. I want them to know beauty is not what you look like, it’s about believing in yourself and having the confidence that you’re capable of anything you put your mind to. My advice to others who want to live a more active and healthier lifestyle is that life is more about reacting to the situation that life throws at you rather than planning, so just go with your guts. 



Q: Let's discuss about your pageant journey. What did you sacrifice in preparation for the competition? Your most memorable moment off or on the stage and after winning one of the coveted titles, how has it changed your life so far?


Fulgentes: I had to sacrifice my judo training, I couldn’t do very much judo during pageant week. I hate missing workouts/practices, so I tried to at least get one workout in during that week. My most memorable moment would be dancing backstage because it helped me calm my nerves and I love to dance. Winning Miss People’s Choice has definitely changed the structure of my life, I find myself attending events/activities while still training for judo. Also, it made me realize people’s true colors and who’s really supportive of me. I learned to always appreciate those people who remind me of who I am and those who keep me grounded. 


Q: Would you compare and contrast your perspective on the similarities/differences of living in the Philippines vis-à-vis the U.S. and what is your personal experience as a Filipina American?



Fulgentes: My perspective as being a young girl living in the Philippines involved being surrounded by my family. Moving to the U.S. still included a lot of family involvement while trying to keep the Filipino culture. Growing up in the U.S. and being surrounded by other cultures kind of drifted me away from my Filipino upbringing. It has taught me to speak up, say what I truly believe in and stand up for it. But joining the pageant has brought me back to my roots and help me establish lifelong relationships. 



Q: I have learned from your Uncle, the gregarious Mr. Giovanni Fulgentes, that Bicolanos celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Peñafrancia in California. Would you briefly describe your American version of the fiesta?



Fulgentes: It’s a smaller version of the fiesta but it definitely makes you feel at home. It gathers a lot of Filipinos around the area to celebrate traditions.



Q: What is your favorite Philippine food and which places in Bicolandia would you recommend to other people to visit?



Fulgentes: My all time favorite Filipino food is ‘sinigang.’ Since Naga City is the town I was born in and a happy place, of course I recommend everyone to go and visit. I have not been home for 10 years and 6 months but rumor has it Woodstone Kitchen is the place to be! 



Q: Bicolana beauty queens have been successful in national and international pageants. As an official judge for the upcoming Miss Bicolandia 2015, what makes Bicolanas stand out and what qualities do you think this year's winners should have to deserve the major titles?



Fulgentes: Everyone can look like a beauty queen but I think what really matters is how a person carries herself. I believe a beauty queen must be strong-willed and must have the courage to stand out. 



Q: The theme for the fiesta this year is: Living out God's mercy and compassion in the year of the poor. How can we help the poor in particular, and the Philippines (being a third world country) in general?



Fulgentes: We always should consider the choices we make and how it will affect others. And also we should spread the importance of education.



Q: Finally, would you like to give your message to us, your ‘kababayans’, and your future plans that may involve your own hometown's continuous progress?



Fulgentes: I just want to say thank you for all your support. Having the support of my hometown is a great feeling. I will keep doing my best to make you proud. 


Comments