Papa's Post: The Buddha*




-I-


Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary
Over all the tempting offers that prospective buyers bore
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping
As of someone gently rapping, softly rapping at my door.
"Perhaps," I thought, "it's buyer Oihara, knocking at my door---
Only this and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was after bleak December
While digging in the Lo-o Valley for the hidden cache of yore
At last I found the long-lost Buddha of "The Tiger of Malaya"
A twenty-eight-inch Buddha I now keep behind my aparador
Because this thousand-kilo statuette that's behind my aparador
Is solid gold and nothing more.

So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I kept repeating,
"It can't be Chayong or Canding; its Oihara at my door
The Japanese buyer who's entreating entrance for an urgent meeting.
It is his familiar greeting, he who knows all wartime lore
Of hidden treasures, it is Oihara knocking at my door,
It is he and nothing more."

Hesitating no longer, though my fears kept getting stronger,
I unlocked the door, still trembling as I never did before.
How true, alas, my premonition: Without waiting for permission,
With Gestapo-like precision, armed men barged in through the door.
They flashed a writ and said, herding us beyond the kitchen door:
"It's a raid!" and nothing more.

They got the jewels of Malaya that were hidden in my Buddha
And they filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before.
Shades of dreaded Kempetai! These CIS and NBI
Even took my samurai, ransacked my house from floor to floor;
But their mien and manner showed me 'twas the Buddha on the floor---
That they wanted, nothing more.

Where's my Buddha, golden Buddha, with the jewels of Malaya
That was taken from my dwelling, from behind my aparador?
Why was it not with Judge Marcos' court? As confiscated cargoes?
As any member of the Bar knows? Where's the rule of law I implore?
And now these threats! Mr. Justice Secretary, I implore
Protection! Justice! Nothing more!

No! That's not my golden Buddha that was seized by a Major Barba
And his midnight raiders nearly a month ago! O no, Señor!
That's not the Buddha of Yamashita! The treasure that a Doña Sepa
Was interested in and Oihara offered millions for!
That foreign fortune-seekers sought and I was offered millions for!
That's made of brass! And nothing more!

-II-

Senator Osmeña, rising on a privilege, indicting
Presidential kins precipitated partisan uproar
As he spoke of power grossly abused, and "grown so dangerously
Callous", power ominously "gone berserk". The Palace corps
Replied in instant retaliation; Perez challenged an encore
"Outside the Senate"; this and more---

Unprecedented Presidential anger followed through--- these men "shall
Not see the end of it!" though I'm no longer President, he swore,
I shall get even for this crime within the law. Why waste our time with
These "perennial losers?" I'm with information that the lore
That Roxas was the finder of the Buddha is not true, His lore--
Is madman's fancy, nothing more.

The Buddha never left the city! Calano tells Laurel's committee,
The CIS didn't take it to Manila as he said before.
In truth, the Buddha was but hidden in his own garage till he then
Brought it out when he was bidden by the court. Because, he swore,
Judge Marcos told him, "wait till after Holy week." And this he swore.
Is now the truth and nothing more.

As hidden treasure, I conclude a view, the State will own the Buddha
For 'twas found on someone's land and not by chance. And I deplore
The wild and baseless speculations in the various publications
Without prior confirmations. Quoth Abad Santos, let's restore
Proportion to these tales of fact and fancy, pray let us restore
Sobriety and nothing more

There were "technical violations" of the law in the actuations
Of Judge Marcos, he admitted to Laurel (the Senator)
Yet there's no need for legislation, added he, on interrogation,
The jurisprudence of our nation is adequate on the score.
This Senate hearing being held will but politicalize the score,
Abad Santos hinted, nothing more.

As witnesses keep disappearing, the committee keeps on hearing
Newer, stranger, stories different from that ever told before---
The latest, most dramatic version is the CIS assertion
That Oihara, through coercion, lost the Buddha as they bore
It up the Lo-o tunnel where 'twas found. Investigation bore
This out, Eduardo said, and more.

-III-

We are now growing tired and weary of this picture, dark and dreary
Of the wild ratiocinations that the various actors swore.
If it really was of brass as claimed, why did two weeks pass
Before turn over? Why the fuss about security? The corps
Of agents mobilized? Why the raid? And why at night? The score
Is unbelievable; and more--

If there was no golden Buddha of the Tiger of Malaya,
What was that man from PSU, a frogman, on the mountain for?
Why the missing Oihara? The interest of Doña Sepa?
Why the fear that Roxas' Buddha, on an offer a buyer bore,
Would be brought out of the country per "reports" the raiders bore?
If it was brass and nothing more?

If the Buddha's confiscation was a legitimate operation
Without acts of substitution as witnessed on the floor,
Why the Presidential ire? If he was not in the line of fire?
Could any soldier still desire otherwise? Could he ignore
The Presidential "jumping of the gun?" Could any soldier ignore
His C-in-C "only", nothing more?

Yes, the people, ah the people, we who don't live up a steeple
Have these questions on that Buddha, on that hidden cache of yore
On the lack of relevancy, the attempt at necromancy
Woven tales of fact and fancy spun right on the Senate floor.
It's obvious, from the trend of it, behind the stories on the floor,
Is a script and nothing more.

The people up the mountain sigh--- "there's more to it than meets the eye.
Let's remember, let's remember the 'Conqueror of Singapore'
Who met his end upon this land despite the troops at his command.
The curse of Buddha is at hand! That dreaded curse at work before!"
Quoth the Buddha, golden Buddha, as it never did before---
"You will see me, nevermore!"































*Philippine Free Press, June 5, 1971;
Reprinted, 1986 (Acknowledgement to
Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven")




photo credit: Bagan via photopin (license) License: (license) 

Comments