A Walk with God


Photo by Yvonne Carpio































“Be careful, you might step on the homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk.” This echoed in my head as I walked at the city center. I have not written about them before but maybe this is the perfect time. I see families sleeping on the concrete pavement by the buildings, I even saw a toddler awake looking straight back at me. To those who are luckier, they have a cardboard and a blanket. Some have absolutely nothing just their backs on the cold pavement.


I feel empathy every time I see them during my early morning exercise. This took me to the age old lesson in my Religion class about the dilemma of the unequal distribution of wealth in the world. There are plenty of resources enough to sustain the whole human population. The problem is that the pyramidal blueprint of society puts the rich patricians at the pinnacle while the suffering plebeians form the large base.

People know about this already. The most important thing in this situation is that I know about this too. I have not turned a blind eye and a deaf ear. All this time, I have been writing only good things about my community, my city, my province and my country. I have also written about the world and what I have learned from my travels.

Why you might ask? Think of it as reverse Psychology. Think of it as being proactive. And most importantly think of it as being positive. I am the writer who focuses on the good. That is my own way of helping out. There is enough bad publicity in the media. And if you look at the discussion threads online about negativity it could be a mile long.

I am a Catholic writer and I have been blessed to be given the chance by Bicol Mail to be one of their staff writers. I put God first as my leader, then to Bicol Mail management. I have been spreading good news that has been happening here in Naga, Bicolandia, the Philippines and the world. If it’s not good then I probably would not write it.


I have been carrying my cross happily for a long time now. This being the season of Lent we observe the passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ. Every morning, I turn my walk into a walk of prayer. I feel the calmness, stillness and peace in my heart. And amidst the suffering I see every day I still believe that hope springs eternal. People will change. The world will change. This is all for the good. And on Easter, as we celebrate Jesus’ triumph over death, may the genuine change in our society happen along with His resurrection. May it be a new life and a new beginning for all.










Comments