Losing weight your own way




I had every reason and excuse to give up but I kept on and fought my battles: the battle of the bulge. I have come to realize that in my situation it is really a war. And it is a lifetime war. Just one wrong small move and I lose a battle every time. The only consolation is: I have mastered the art of war against weight gain.


I have four passports to prove the different conditions my weight had been in, with the first a trimmer version; the second a plumper one; the third with a toned and well pronounced jawline; and the last a healthier version.

I was extremely over weight in 2008 and a few times before for that matter but I distinctly remember that particular battle because it was how I found my own way of losing the unwanted pounds and became really successful at it. I had very obvious spectacular results that people who knew I was fat instantly commented how great I looked and the next thing they asked is how I did it. To be honest I didn’t exactly tell them how.

It is not because I’m being selfish but rather if I do tell them it would take some time. I have researched about it hours on end on how to combat obesity. I have read fitness magazines, watched fitness shows, health shows and basically devoured everything I could to help me with my fitness goals. I even cut out the articles in magazines and compiled them in a scrapbook. It was my own fitness blueprint. And I stuck with it.

At first it was not easy but I had some bullets that geared me towards my aim. I took up weight training as a P.E. subject at the university. All I had to do was buy two dumb bells and I ventured into familiar territory. Slowly, my body was taking shape and day by day my physique was getting better and better. Then one day, I just woke up and literally I was a changed man.

Did you ever wonder how it feels like when you entered into a restaurant and people just stared? It felt heartwarming in a way that you know you succeeded. I achieved what I wanted and people began to assume that I do acting or modeling as a living to my amusement. My brother even encouraged me to build a portfolio and try it out. I was invited to events like a front row seat to a fashion show and to a grand opening of a restaurant to name a few. People were asking for my business card. It was crazy, but cool-crazy.

The most basic thing about weight loss is to find what works for you. But first the explanation for my few battles with gaining weight is sickness related. It is something that I had not because I did something rather it just happened. That in itself is a crumbling blow to make me give up but I continued with my decision to live a healthy lifestyle. With that out of the way I will just run you through with what I do to shed kilograms off my body.

There are two phases in my own personal training. The first one is the hardest but you can do it on your own. Once you have completed the first stage the second stage is actually body sculpting if you would like to pursue it I highly recommend for you to enroll in a quality gym.

Now here are the compilations I have accumulated over the years on how I lost weight in my own unique way:

On a typical day I wake up really early about 3 or 4 in the morning. First things first, I drink at least two glasses of water. Then I relax for a while. I do my job and write for a newspaper like now upon checking as I am writing this it is 4:32 a.m. and after I finish this one I will do my morning exercise.

For an exercise to be effective it has to be at least thirty minutes of continuous movement. And I mean non-stop. So here I use a sports watch to time my training sessions. I do walking, jogging or cycling. Make sure that it is just exactly thirty minutes. The principle behind this is if you do like two hours for example you will very much likely develop an appetite and the hunger pangs would be tough to handle. Sadly, you might overeat then lose track then put off the exercise the following day. Proper exercise sequence is warm up then do training then finally cool down.

After a warm shower I get ready for breakfast. Breakfast is just one local bun with egg. Eggs are good because they are high in protein. Then I drink at least two glasses of water. Notice that I am not drinking any sweetened beverage. I am very strict with this, no sodas and even juice. Juice is just processed and sweetened which is actually fattening. However, shakes made from fresh fruits are absolutely awesome.

Proper healthful nutrition


For lunch less carbohydrates so much the better so I measure at least half a cup of rice and take it with vegetables/ fish/chicken or lean meat. Dinner is just a ham and egg sandwich with a fruit. That’s it just plain healthful eating. Just do this every day from the morning water intake to the exercise and the well-portioned healthful meals.

Things to avoid are junk food. Just the name itself is self-explanatory. Anything artificially sweetened I don’t recommend. When you have hunger pangs munch on nuts or fruits. If you have cravings like pizza choose a healthful brand and don’t eat the whole content of the box in one sitting. What you can do is eat a slice in the morning then a slice in the afternoon and another in the evening.

This process is a slow process but for me I see results in about seven days. It is a long journey depending on your current weight. I usually achieve my target within the tenth month. It takes a lot of discipline, consistency, diligence, perseverance and inspiration. Believe me as your belt size begin to adjust to a trimmer you and your clothes become looser these motivations will help you along the way.

Before you engage in any exercise routine or make changes in your diet please do consult your physician. Best of luck to a new and healthier you.





Fruits Photo
License: (license)

Comments