Spectacular Singapore



Image courtesy of posterize
at freedigitalphotos.net
Image courtesy of 2nix
at freedigitalphotos.net


It was around this time of the month a few years ago that I traveled by bus to Singapore from Kuala Lumpur. An air of suspense welcomed me at the immigration office of the Lion City. I was held at the arrival area for about forty five minutes.

Until now I have absolutely no idea as to why I was held for questioning and investigation. My Singaporean friend told me it was just a routine check. Whatever it was it made my heartbeat rate a little faster than normal.

The immigration officer, a lady in her thirties, was the one designated to interrogate me. First thing she did was take my finger prints using a modern, hi-tech equipment. She scanned my passport then she asked me to open my backpack. She sensed that I was a bit perplexed and apprehensive so she told me that it will be over soon enough.

As I opened my bag, I prayed that no one put illegal items in it while I was in transit to my destination. Silly me, I have watched too many movies/investigative journalism on TV about scary scenarios at immigration centers. My imagination was working overtime. It is a writer’s occupational hazard.

The lady checked everything. And I mean everything. My clothes, travel papers, food like the sandwiches I was given in the bus. I was asked about every detail of my travel agenda. Thankfully, she was nice, pleasant and reassuring. She told me that there was nothing to worry about. True enough, I was released when I passed all the necessary security checks.

The tourist bus driver was waiting for me by the exit. He was glad the incident was over and that I could join the rest of the passengers in the vehicle. And the tour continued.

The initial appeal of the city was breathtaking. It was fully decorated with Christmas trimmings. There were gigantic, lighted and opulently adorned Christmas trees. Wreaths and garlands, winter- inspired ornaments gave the place a festive and joyful atmosphere that tricked my eyes but the heat and humidity reminded me that I was in a tropical country.

Majority of the locals are of Chinese descent mixed with Malay people, Indians and a few others. It was a British colony so it is a fusion of East and West. I was in a group tour and we went to Little India, an orchid garden, some shops specifically for tourists and other attractions. Not to be missed is the Merlion. It is a big, concrete, white statue of a creature with a body of a fish and a head of a lion.

Our tour guide was an Indian lady. She oriented everyone in English. The bus driver couldn’t speak any English to my chagrin. As a result, I had questions about the tour that were left unanswered. Regardless, the tour was fun and gave exciting, lasting impressions.

One thing I noticed about the place was that it was actually very small. After a few rounds I thought I was having a déjà vu but I realized I had been there before. That is how small the concrete jungle makes one feel. However, the greenery is amazingly incorporated in the design that makes up for that so you could feel the oxygen filling up your lungs leaving your body invigorated in that breathable city. The master blueprint of the city planners is first rate. They make up for the lack of terrain by reclamation of land and construction of skyscrapers.

Singapore at night is spectacular. The city luminaries come in many different colors: a photographer’s dream subject. Sadly, the following morning was my departure from the city. I have cherished memories from that trip and a few souvenirs as reminders like a shirt with an “I love SG” printed on it. If you love highly urbanized cities, you may want to include Singapore in your bucket list.