The Last of the Spaniards



A new friend of mine then, who was from Peru, welcomed me and spoke to me in Spanish. We had the whole conversation in Spanish. She was genuine. And, we spent quality moments together. She gave me a gift when she finally left.

Then, another lady befriended me because she knew that my other friend left so she thought, I guess now, that she had the opportunity to get to know me. After that, she would speak Spanish, some phrases, but we decided to converse in English instead.

She then told me that she has a friend also of Spanish Descent who belongs to the Preysler Family. I just remember that Mr. Preysler according to her played Scrabble with her. Moreover, she told me that Isabel Preysler, his next of kin, was the ex-wife of Julio Iglesias and the mother of Enrique Iglesias.

My father when he was alive, would always fondly refer to my maternal grandmother as Kachila or Spaniard.

At the university, most of the classmates I sat next to were of Spanish descent as well.

At the workplace, one office mate, a Filipino American asked me, "are you from Spain?" I just smiled and said, 'no'.

The Manila-based Insulares, whom I had met with my older brother, when we attended a meeting at Wack Wack Golf and Country Club were quite welcoming. The Don even gave us a ride home to our condominium unit along Epifanio de los Santos Avenue.

He further suggested that, if my older brother could not make it for a meeting, I could attend in his behalf. However, I was preoccupied at that time.

When I was leaving the United Sates at the Immigration section, the lady spoke to me in Spanish. And I replied in Spanish, of course.

My mother raised us with a distinct Spanish influence. The table setting for example was, exquisitely, prepared the western way.

I forget sometimes... that I am more Spanish than I think.

My sister would just say, "Que Barbaridad!"

Finally, my older brother would call me an Indio, if I would go to the city center using flipflops.

But then again... I like flipflops.





















Comments