Chronicles of a serendipitous traveler



“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” - Mark Twain
A SUITCASE was built to last in the early days. I was an eager young traveler with my family waiting for the bus at the terminal. I sat on the suitcase. That is the oldest recollection of one of my trips to distant Manila.
However, I saw in old photo albums that even as a toddler, I was riding the Bicol Express. The coach wagon was splendid. Wow! We were traveling in style.
Sadly, there were years when the Bicol Express was kaput so we had to take the bus. During those times every trip took a whole night from sleepy Naga to bustling Manila. Snacks were served making the trip pleasant. I held the cold orange juice packed in a pyramid shaped carton in my small hands with sheer joy. And yes, there was a warm fuzzy blanket too, given to passengers by a stunning bus attendant in a chic, tailored uniform.
Photo by cc

With high hopes in my heart, as promised by PNR officials, the train will make a comeback this September just in time for the Peñafrancia Festival. I know a lot of people are fervently anticipating the return of the Bicol Express.
Those were the days — when traveling was a special event, people even had traveling clothes and transportation was world-class. I look back with nostalgia and a smile on my face.
Photo by cc
Photo by cc

When the Maharlika highway was completely paved, we traveled in our own privately owned vehicles. I enjoyed the day trips because I had the opportunity to view the scenic, spectacular countryside. There were mountains with lush green forests, waterfalls, almost harvest-ready golden rice fields, water buffalos lounging in pools of muddy water, cranes, and sparrows; simply, flora and fauna endemic to a part of tropical masterpiece of God’s glorious creation.
About a couple of years ago, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere when my bus had engine trouble. The driver and his aide told us that a replacement bus was coming in about an hour. All of us got off the vehicle and sat by the side of the road. It was roughly two hours before lunch time and it became a little picnic. Those who had food shared it to everyone. As it turned out I was among Good Samaritans.

My first airplane ride was fast and fantastic. The four hundred plus kilometers from Naga to Manila by land was cut short into an hour by air. I preferred the airplanes from then on. As a child, I was often carsick and motion discomforts were frequent dreaded incidents.

Back then, we were offered snacks and newspapers to read aside from the in-flight magazine and the emergency contingencies printed on a thick cardboard-like material. By the moment I finished reading the three top national papers, give or take fifteen minutes, the plane was ready to land on the airport.
When faster jet planes were flying the Southern Luzon skies, the trip was cut shorter to thirty minutes. Gone were the newspapers and the free snacks. If you wanted to munch on something you had to purchase from the in-flight food cart. A bag of chips would cost twenty pesos on land but on a plane it would cost fifty pesos. It depends really on which airline you booked a flight. The national airline still has an included beverage and food incentive which I think is magnanimous.
Photo by cc


Photo by cc

Inter-island travel by water or the sea was an unexpected experience. I thought I was going to be seasick but the ship was a catamaran meaning the ride was smooth as silk. There was not much to see but water in different shades from blue to aquamarine and a mix of green and blue. Moreover, the water sometimes sparkled due to the rays of the sun. I was hoping to see dolphins but it wasn’t my lucky day. We left historic Cebu and arrived at beautiful Bohol in short hours.
International travels to ASEAN countries were basically the same but with longer travel time hours. Sitting for a long period of seemingly infinite seconds can be unsettling. You can actually read the magazine from cover to cover and if you are quizzed on it you can have an almost if not get a perfect score. Airline food was great if you are traveling when lunch hours are in your flying time. Not gourmet food but something to fill the stomach.
Intercontinental travel by air though is quite revealing, culture wise. I have observed that most Filipino passengers were so excited to get off the plane to see their family or friends that they forget to tidy their area a bit. The section was in disarray, wrappers and mineral water bottles were on the floor, blankets unfolded, headset cords were not arranged in a coil: it was a mess.
Personally, I fold my blanket, put trash in the net pouch in front of me, and always try to keep it neat. That is my standard operating procedure. Frankly speaking, it does not leave a good impression on other people be it to fellow countrymen much worse on people of other nationalities. Next time you travel, it is excellent if you keep things in order; if not, just a friendly reminder, try to keep it clean. As my grandma used to say, “I tell you because I love you. Other people will just laugh at you.” Yes, the ‘Global Filipino’ can travel top notch and make our country proud.


photo credit: Sunset in the sky via photopin (license)
License: (license)