Moments in Frankfurt and Zurich

RECENTLY, I have been blessed with an opportunity to visit and travel to Germany and Switzerland. My impressions about the place and people were surprisingly endearing.  Here are some holiday highlights that made my stay very memorable during my two weeks in that part of Europe.

Photo by cc

Arrival at the modern, stylish, and spacious state-of-the-art Frankfurt airport made me all the more excited. I had no expectations whatsoever about the place and people. With my backpack and trolley suitcase, all I had with me were an open mind and a positive outlook. Throw in a lot of common sense, an alert mind, and always a prayer for a safe and successful journey.
I queued at the immigration area where several short lines to a row of windows where an immigration officer in each booth is waiting for every arriving passenger. I prepared my passport, return ticket, and a Formal Obligation Letter (Verpflichtungserklärung). At the window, I said “Good Morning Ma’am!” and gave her my documents. She interviewed me for about two minutes confirming if my purpose of travel was to visit family. I replied yes and headed to the baggage claim hall. Halfway through I heard the immigration officer calling me and saw her even running, saying, “Mr. Carpio, you forgot your ticket.” I thanked her profusely realizing the gravity of the outcome of a lost return ticket. Nice.
Luckily, just a couple of days of sleep and rest my jet lag was gone. And when I finally felt settled in the flat, I decided to discover the city center of Zurich. I can’t help but notice what people do in a similar situation when a fellow citizen speaks in a foreign language. I went to a coffee shop and talked to the lady behind the counter. Cheerfully, I greeted her “Guten Morgen.” (Good Morning) and said “Sprechensie Englisch?” (Do you speak English?). Yes she nodded and I made my order. I felt amused though because her male co-worker was teasing her while she was speaking to me in English. Exactly what Filipinos do.
When in a small village at the countryside near the harbor, I was not prepared to be greeted by locals. We don’t normally do that anymore. I was sitting on a park bench while enjoying the fragrance of the white rose bushes behind me, people who passed by said a word or two of German greetings. Very welcoming indeed.


Same place but this time at the boathouse I was standing by the doors when suddenly I heard someone calling my attention. He was the one managing the premises and was just making sure I was not a trespasser. We chatted and exchanged stories. He asked me where I’ve been so far since I arrived. I mentioned a few places and he mentioned that with Japanese tourists, they take a tour bus to scenic spots, have an hour break, out of the bus to take photos “click, click…click” then into the bus again en route to other places all in a day. I told him I was visiting family so touring was just second to my priorities. The friendly conversation ended with him wishing that I enjoy the rest of my vacation.


After taking a long drive and seeing the sights and sounds of the countryside,  my German host treated us for dinner at a restaurant. Previously we ate at a very popular restaurant and he made all the orders. But at this new one he asked me if I wanted anything for dessert. I was used to it already. A little German and then English. So I asked the waitress if she can speak English, she didn’t so she called her colleague to take my order. Chocolate ice cream. He did speak English but didn’t know the word for scoop. This I understood while he gestured how many scoops he meant I wanted. I said just one. And I added in ending “Thank you very much Sir, for speaking in English.”
During the time I was waiting for my family who was traveling by train from Bielefeld to Zurich. I was approached by an old man with a big duffel bag. I got asked by him for directions. I felt bad because I could not help him. All I could say was I am sorry I don’t speak German. I only know basic phrases. But I saw him with another Swiss helping him so it all went well.


A day before leaving Germany, my family was billeted at a cozy hotel near the Frankfurt airport. The following morning at 6 A.M. I was at the lobby and I saw apples in a large bowl. After I bought a magnet souvenir, I asked the front desk clerk if the apples were for free. He said yes. And we chatted for quite some time. His Dad is from Chile and his Mom is German. I said. "Espaňol es muy dificil." Furthermore, I told him that the sound proofing of the room was amazing. Very quiet. He told me that’s because the window has three thick glass panels installed. And there are no flights during bedtime.
Departure at the airport was like the grand finale of experiences. At the immigration area I inadvertently queued at the European Union citizens only section. Greeting the lady officer in German and presenting my passport she willingly stamped it. She was kind enough to do so without asking me to transfer to the foreigners’ window. Very accommodating. Then we went to buy some pretzels and earlier the young lady said to the previous customer if she had coins. I could not help but overhear so when my turn came up I told her “this must be your lucky day because we have many Euro coins!” She was beaming, said thanks and bid us farewell.


Later at the x-ray machine area of the airport, the German staff asked me, “Are you from Cambodia?” I said, “No Sir, I am from the Philippines.” I realized I was wearing a souvenir shirt with Cambodia printed on it.  He said okay and shook my hand. Then he said “I hope you had a pleasant stay here.” Well, I sure did, I replied. Then at the frisking booth I got asked again by another officer where I’m from. He then asked in halting Tagalog, “Pinoy ka ba?” Opo I replied.
My overall experience was very good. I can even say it was perfect. The Germans and Swiss I met were very friendly and helpful. Most younger people there below forty speak excellent English. But speaking a little bit of German is always appreciated. Even if you make mistakes they will correct you, smile and still cherish it. Imagine in reverse, foreigners speaking in Bicol. I went to Europe with an open mind without any stereotypes and keeping in mind that people are the same wherever you go. There is good and bad in everyone. However, always do have a positive outlook and you will bring out the best in yourself and the best in everybody.