Dear Reader




Dear Reader

By James Z. Carpio


I may not have all the answers, however, I should like to do my best to write this one as inspiring as possible. You may be wondering why I am writing in letter form.

We all have a lot of questions. Everyone. Not even one single person on this planet is spared.

I know one fact about you. It is obvious. You like to read. This is not a reading requirement at the University rather this is just leisure reading.

You may be curious what is really going on in a writer’s mind. Aside from the standard, I am keen on avoiding portmanteaus, code switching, cliches, err that word necessitates a tilde. Apologies, and enough about me.

Did you notice that in your life if you have been given the gift of hearing that you have heard good and not so good things about yourself? Now, if you put them all together you could make a mosaic masterpiece of yourself. Although, the pieces may be sharp, jagged, and broken.

So, shatter that mosaic masterpiece because that is not who you are i.e. you are more than that. So much more.

Here is where I try to help you out. I will do it in three basic paradigms:

Jigsaw Puzzle

When we meet a person for the first time we try to get to know them. Think of it as a C.I.A. investigation. We try to know how they are like… Then, we engage in conversations with them. Always giving the benefit of the doubt. We always try to see the best in them. We accept that what they are saying are truthful.

And then, the few pieces of the puzzle when put together give us an idea of how they are as a human being. The more pieces of the puzzle we get, all the more the picture of that person comes alive.

As a journalist, I have an easier time figuring out the truth. The truth hurts. Can you handle the truth? In reality, and in my experience the truth is your best friend. Jesus is Truth. The Truth shall set you free.

Spiritual Photograph

Using your mind and spirit like a video camera you capture the whole phenomenon of getting to know somebody. Our mind is that powerful. If we feel threatened and our fight or flight defense mechanism is activated that my dear reader is a red flag. Stop. On the other hand when we receive unconditional friendship or love from a fellow human being then the memories that would be gathered in our conscious and subconscious mind last until the final days of our life.

When I look back at the random kindness that I experienced in my life I become at awe at how good humanity truly is. One time I was on top of our steel ladder and out of nowhere a middle-aged woman held the sides with her hands to support them. I told her she did not have to and I was quite grateful.

I was standing in front of a vulcanizing shop early one morning. The gasoline attendants across the street gestured if I needed air for the wheels of my bicycle. I signaled, “no”. Then, after some more minutes (I was waiting for over forty five minutes already), a gasoline attendant crossed the avenue and approached me and told me that another vulcanizing shop straight ahead should be opened by then. I asked him what the name of the vulcanizing shop is and he replied, “friend”.

The shop’s name is different. I surmised that he wanted me to know that what he was doing was an act of kindness.

Wow! 

Whenever I miss to lift the stand support of my bicycle, for always, drivers would holler at me, “your stand”. It never fails to amuse me.

Those are cherished memories. The kind that make your heart warm and fuzzy inside.

Family experiences, milestones, and other myriad events are best engraved in a Spiritual Photograph.

Tabula rasa

Wikipedia defines it as “the theory that individuals are born without built-in mental content and that therefore all knowledge comes from experience or perception. Epistemological proponents of tabula rasa disagree with the doctrine of innatism which holds that the mind is born already in possession of certain knowledge. Generally, proponents of the tabula rasa theory also favour the "nurture" side of the nature versus nurture debate when it comes to aspects of one's personality, social and emotional behaviour, knowledge and sapience.”

It is a blank slate or a clean slate. This strategy may help people if they take each day one day at a time. It is like the Lord’s Prayer. It could be about Divine Providence. We always have hope or a second chance at life each day to make it better than yesterday and even much better than tomorrow.

Personally, I use this paradigm to eliminate all the worries and negativity that I dealt with in my own life. I forgive people before the sun sets. At the end of the day, when we sleep it is over and when we wake up it is a brand new day.

It is upon you how you would make a blueprint or purpose of your own blank slate, or i.e. your so-called life. The power is in you. Consistency and perseverance work hand in hand for your own success.

My dear reader, this is something a little extra. A bonus. Try to think of God. Know in your heart that He has forgiven you. Know in your heart that He loves you. Know in your heart that in His eyes you are looked upon with great mercy. Know in your heart that His Holy Spirit descended on you. Never ever forget those…



photo credit: Paul Howard Photo Reading Interruptus via photopin (license)
License: (license)

Comments