Bohol Chances




From a distance the train horn announced to all that it is ready to leave to ply its daily route from Naga City to Legazpi City. It was still a cold March morning around 5:00 a.m. And I had the chance to hear it. It reminded me of traveling. And I was contemplating on chances as a topic. I decided to write about both: chances and travel.

Ideas began to be cultivated in my mind but first I had to do my morning exercise. I headed to my usual route and passed along a fast food chain. I saw a short line of people at the parking area and I wondered what the fuzz was all about. I have read their banner that they are giving free sandwiches at six in the morning until supplies last I guessed. Free food! It got me excited. Cheese, egg, and sausage sandwich... Yummy! I saw regular people and mothers with their children following along. I decided to pass on the chance and to give it to someone else like a young child perhaps. Even though free food is free food, I gave it up.

Life is all about chances. Some even say that it is a game of chance. Each new year you are given a clean slate to make it right. Each new beginning a chance, more so each day is a new chance. It has something to do with proper timing but I will spare you the philosophical discourse and after surmising from years of experiences I will attribute it to God’s plan or according to His perfect timing and if He so willed it for His beloved creation.

I have heard about the famous Chocolate Hills and later on, the Panglao white sand beach. I had three chances of visiting my sister who lives with her husband, a Boholano, in Jagna.

My first chance was in 1998. They organized an international conference which was held in their sprawling property by the bay. I accompanied my father together with an older brother. We stayed at a guest house about half an hour away from the conference venue.

I remember the foreigners were all agog about the beach and the tropical weather and the tour that they were going to have at the end of the conference. I just stayed with my father and pretty much it was uneventful except for a swim in a nearby beach five minutes away from my sister’s place. That was enough for me. I was not really the outgoing type then and growing up in the 7,641 islands we call home, The Philippines, I have seen enough beaches and seas to last me a lifetime. It was just a brief stay and I did not get the chance to see the Chocolate Hills.

My second chance was in 2003. They staged a play entitled, Jeanne d’ Arc, in French as performed by high school students of their school. It was a successful show, entertaining and inspiring at the same time. I did not get the chance to see the Chocolate Hills again but I was able to get on board a catamaran though.

I was having regrets already because I have been there but I was not given the opportunity to tour that big island. Well, the long drive from Tagbilaran City to the town of Jagna was sort of touristic in itself because the motorway was just beside the coastline. I remarked that it was like a scene straight out of a James Bond movie. I imagined the double agent driving a sleek high tech car cruising at lightning speed while chasing a villain driving an equally powerful car. I said to myself at the airport that well, the best I could do was play a movie in my mind. But I learned one thing just the same, bragging rights are not meant for me. I never tell anyone that I have been to Bohol. But when God closes a door He opens other doors or windows of opportunity.

My third chance was in 2013. When my sister and brother-in-law asked me if there were some places I wanted to see, I grabbed the opportunity. Well, I said I wanted to see the Chocolate Hills. Aside from that place they took me to see other tourist spots.

I finally was able to tour the island of Bohol. One thing about chance is that it is like waiting for a bus to take you somewhere no matter how long you wait, there will always be a next bus. It is up to you to get on that bus and enjoy the ride.

Here are some of the places I have visited. Summer is fast approaching and why not take a chance and choose Bohol as your next escapade.

We went to see the Clarin Ancestral House. It is owned by a prominent family of politicians from Loay. The house was built in the 1840s. The grand staircase leads to a spacious receiving area. It has high ceilings, large windows and the floor is made of hardwood planks. There a lot of old furnitures and memorabilia examples of which are beds, chairs, framed old pictures, and vintage telephones. The dining area features a long dining table. My sister commented that it was similar to the old house my mother’s family had in Lucena before it went into oblivion. The Clarin house is no longer a home but a museum. I can only imagine the grandeur it had in its heyday. 

We had a meal on the first floor which is called Cafe Olegario. I distinctly remember the background music were Spanish songs. 

Then we went to see the Chocolate Hills. During that time the hills were actually covered with green foliage. So it was a mint chocolate version I saw which was refreshingly cool to the eyes. They were many and according to estimates there are at least 1,260 hills to 1,776 hills spread over an area of more than 50 square kilometres. They can be found mostly in the town of Carmen. To see the other hills you must climb to the top of a hill that was developed into an observation deck. The stairs are high but just right for anyone regardless of being able-bodied or not. Truly, there is strength in numbers contributing to the tourism prowess of Bohol.

Then we went to the town of Corella to see the Tarsier in its sanctuary. They are nocturnal creatures as explained by the tour guide but we were lucky enough to spot a few who were awake. Cameras are allowed as long as the flash is not used. I think they are just as big as my hand or smaller. I was able to take a good photo of one cute Tarsier who was staring at me with its big round eyes. 


We passed by the Blood compact monument, Panglao, Baclayon Church and the Loboc River. There are other touristic places/activities like Zip-line, Butterfly farm and Dolphin watching adventure. Beautiful Bohol has so much more to offer. This summer may be your chance. Go for it.






















Comments