On the daily grind




  To begin with, I think that Andre Agassi is spot on when he stated that, “Nothing can substitute for just plain hard work. I had to put in the time to get back. And it was a grind. It meant training and sweating every day. But I was completely committed to working out to prove to myself that I still could do it.”


  I am a home-based writer. It is interesting to note that I have only seen my editor and publisher three times so far personally in a period of more than three years in tenure at Bicol Mail. What follows is a chronicle of what a writer’s week is like with an in-depth and detailed approach. A sales pitch is included to orient prospective writers.

  I have embraced the writer’s lifestyle wholeheartedly. Being a home-based employee is a rarity that people are curious about as it is a life that is off the beaten track. For non-writers in general, you may find similarities that may apply to your own field of profession.

  Providentially, I have achieved a balanced and productive routine that I have grown accustomed to and has been incorporated in my day to day activities. However, when family members arrive for reunions during holidays, the monotony of the solitary time I spend writing is broken but then it is a welcome respite nonetheless.

  The beginning of the week for me is technically every Wednesday. My waking hour is between one o’ clock to two in the morning. This is a convenient and opportune time for me to chat and call family and friends from different time zones. They live in America and Europe. At five, I do my exercise regimen by walking along the lighted streets of the city.

  Just to follow up, I have written early this year that I began an exercise program last January. The article’s title is, “Losing weight your own way,” and I am pleased to report that I have already lost a considerable amount of weight. I feel much lighter and look much trimmer. I do hope that those who followed my two cents worth of advice have lost extra pounds and are much healthier as well.

  People often wonder what do writer’s actually do? Well, in my case, I do a lot of thinking and reading. Basically, I spend a lot of time thinking about my next topic. And being a techie I find reading on my tablet very convenient. When I started working, I stopped watching TV cold turkey. And it was cost cutting as well because I was able to get rid of paying for cable television.

  I follow social media so most of the interesting articles shared by my friends are on the top of my reading list. I read The New York Times, Yahoo news and other useful and informative websites as part of my usual research. Plus, I get a hard copy of Bicol Mail every Friday.

  There are two blog sites that I update weekly. The first one is a literature blog featuring the work of my father, mostly poetry, and my own writings. I also write poems for the blog. When my brother died I wrote poems about losing him. It was very difficult to do. But I found consolation in doing so. I became good at it that I even wrote a poem for a friend whose mother passed away. He posted it on his page. Writing about death has been the most difficult topic to write about in my entire experience as a writer. 
  
  The second one is a Photo Blog. I feature free photos of the city, consequently, I have to be outdoors. This fieldwork is exciting as photography is pretty much one of my passions.

  The actual writing I do for my column starts with a notebook. I do my first draft using a pen and pages of paper. There is an awesome connection I feel when my ideas are written by a pen and when the ink touches the paper the words magically turn into sentences then into paragraphs then into a finished first draft.

  I do the typing of an edited draft into my computer on a Sunday or Monday. My deadline for submission is every Tuesday morning which is the end of the work week for me. I read my work a few more times before finally sending it to the firm by e-mail. My job is done. Then the next cycle begins the following day.

  When people ask me if they should also venture into writing, I encourage them to follow their heart and passion. I am not a dream basher. I tell them that that I am fortunate that my blog is already commissioned by the family enterprise. Their support is a solid one hundred percent which I am truly appreciative of and additionally, my blog earns from the leading advertising network online which is Google Adsense. There are endless writing opportunities on the internet that are both fruitful and rewarding at the same time.

  There is success in writing, just think of the Harry Potter series penned by J.K. Rowling. You could really be the next big thing.

  When people ask me how I got published and they want to test the waters too for themselves... I tell them it is sound spelling and great grammar. My English training was tough so I have been used to checking my grammar and spelling. With technology when you type, the words turn green and red every time you commit a mistake. But great grammar for me shows that you are doing your job competently.
  
  Pay attention to the voice of your work and give it a lot of soul. Dedication is key, in writing it’s like turning in a term paper every time. I have been doing this for almost three years now. You really have to love what you do otherwise you won’t last long and instead of it becoming a worthwhile endeavor it is going to be a torturous dreaded task. My style is simple writing but not simplistic writing and I write to express than to impress.

  There will always be critics who will not be interested in my work. The first time I encountered one I was devastated. But I have learned to accept it and develop a thick skin. Believe me, if you are going to survive in this profession you have to do so otherwise you will never write in this town again. Sadly, you just cannot please everyone.

  But one of the perks of being a writer is being complimented by your amazing readers. This has already happened to me personally and to tell you the truth the feeling is exhilarating. The hard work I have been doing has paid off. Since I write about general interest topics unlike let’s say Politics, I have not received any hate mails so far and I hope not as my career in writing continues. I have not hit a nerve or displeased anyone to warrant a complaint or more so words of disgust. In fact, I have received generally great feedback from my readers. Thank you. And at the end of the day, what matters most is I touched a reader’s heart. Hence, everybody happy; me, the reader, the editor and the publisher. It is a win-win situation.

  The purpose behind this writing project is pinned in the saying that the pen is mightier than the sword. Word is power. We can provide innovative and creative ideas to help shape the consciousness of society. We can be the voice of the people: we can speak for our collective plight towards a better and brighter future. Believe me if you do it for God it becomes easier/meaningful and it becomes a more noble profession. Think writing, begin writing... and just continue writing!






License: (license)

Comments