The Director


Atty. Jesus Antonio Matamorosa Carpio


Heaven as depicted in the world of creativity. “Cloud nine” referred to by some. Reality check: it was just the indigo sky full of fluffy cumulus clouds. And, I was seated next to my boss, a former high ranking government official. He was a Director and I was the aide-de-camp.

Admittedly, I enjoyed everything about being a trusted chief of staff. All I had to do was make sure he was well taken care of which means I had to do my homework. The scope of my responsibilities entailed knowledge of vital details. We were frequent flyers. Baggage must be protected as essential documents are kept inside. The time of flight departure and arrival as well as contingencies for delay or cancellation were duly noted. Travel to and from the airport to the destination should seamlessly happen like clockwork.

Perks of this duty were rewarding. When you were with a VIP the chances of rubbing elbows with the same crowd was expected. Although later on you realize that they were the same as regular folks. Being courteous was the quality that I developed and practiced during those times. We attended meetings for business or with friends and to more people who participated in conferences. The venues were almost always high-end and the people well-heeled with a dash of millionaires or even billionaires.

Passion for public service with a vision for nation building was his drive for making a difference and making an impact for the country. I remember one time we attended a conference with the theme related to Federalism. Common sense really because our country is an archipelago. Many millions of Filipinos are going to and residing in the metropolis of Manila to make their dreams come true. Progress will come when the whole country is fully developed, even distribution of resources should take place and the gap of the rich and poor, narrower.

Yes, I listened too when he and other resource speakers take the podium. He was a widower with children and grandchildren. It was during his golden years that I served him. He would ask his daughter if I were available to assist him if ever he needs to go somewhere. And he was quite easy to get along with. He had a lot of stories to tell. He was a soft spoken man so you needed to concentrate intently to every word he said.

Fun was part of his life like any other. He read novels by Grisham or Ludlum and countless others. He was a writer and a published author. He loved the cinema. One time I was given the honor of seeing The Hunt for Red October with him. He would read the newspaper and answered the crossword puzzle daily. Jogging was his exercise.

A typical day in Manila, we were in his car and we passed along a big avenue and he saw the commuter train that was the talk of the town. It was newly opened to the public. And he told me, “Jim, I want to take a ride on the MRT.” The Metro Rail Transit is a train system with above the ground rail tracks and underground as well. The next day, the big event began at the start going south. I practically knew the blueprint of the MRT system. From the elevators, escalators the best time and which wagon to take. It was like a ride in an amusement park. He looked out the big windows of the train and enjoyed the view of the skyline. What an awesome adventure?  He seemed like his inner child full of joy. It was his first and last trip.

There was this conference that took place in beautiful Bohol. Scientists were the participants of the event. It was a recurring meeting of people from other countries. Amusingly, no matter how hard I tried to understand the speakers I could not get the essence of what the subject was or any other pertaining to the matter being discussed. One word: Physics. And I had to attend two of those in my lifetime. During the last night of our stay, we had dinner and a vibrant conversation with our hosts. The stories were aplenty and the Director was taking quick glances at his wrist watch then he said he had to pack and he asked me if I was done packing. I told him yes. He chuckled. So that’s why you were so relaxed. Through the years I still could surprise him.

His deteriorating health began to take its toll on his body. Slowly his vision started to get blurry. He had to undergo operations to fix that. I was there along with others to help him in any way we could to make him comfortable.

Even during those moments his mind was sharp and alert. I reported to his law office to attend to his confidential files. What seemingly began as a routine chore turned out into a treasure hunt. I found bonds that were going to mature soon. When I told him the good news he was glad but calm. He has already retired. It was a blessing.

Red tape in government offices was usually what entertained the citizen in processing documents. For the chief I had to arrange the health papers for him to become eligible for benefits. I did it in twenty minutes. Boy, was I happy with the result.

Twas a sad day when we learned that he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. It was the same illness that Saint John Paul II had when he was alive. I fondly remember we were among the crowds that went to see the then Pope for his 1995 visit to the Philippines.

Some of the things that he used to do he stopped doing eventually and gradually. He had trouble eating because he had a hard time swallowing. Ice cream would save the day. He was contented with that dessert. It soothed his throat somehow. It was a relief to all present.

Day by day he spent on meditation and prayers. He was steadfast and kept reminding us that the enemy will take its chance on an unsuspecting soul. The prayer he contemplated on most was ‘The Our Father.’

And I wait for sundown, soon my day is done… his own words, written in a Shakespearean sonnet, “A Song to Our Fourteen.” On May 26, 2010 he passed away.


You are probably looking down from heaven. The real thing. Smiling. Beaming even. It was a great honor and privilege to have served you as your aide-de-camp. My mission accomplished.